The thyroid gland, or simply the thyroid, is an endocrine gland in the neck, consisting of two lobes connected by an isthmus. It is found at the front of the neck, below the Adam’s apple. The thyroid gland secretes thyroid hormones, which primarily influence the metabolic rate and protein synthesis. The hormones also have many other effects including those on development. The thyroid hormones triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxin (T4) are created from iodine and tyrosine. The thyroid also produces the hormonecalcitonin, which plays a role in calcium homeostasis. Hormonal output from the thyroid is regulated by thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) secreted from the anterior pituitary gland, which itself is regulated by thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) produced by the hypothalamus.
- Fatigue after sleeping 8 to 10 hours a night or needing to take a nap daily.
- Weight gain or the inability to lose weight.
- Mood issues such as mood swings, anxiety or depression.
- Hormone imbalances such as PMS, irregular periods, infertility and low sex drive.
- Muscle pain, joint pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, or tendonitis.
- Cold hands and feet, feeling cold when others are not, or having a body temperature consistently below 98.5.
- Dry or cracking skin, brittle nails and excessive hair loss.
- Mind issues such as brain fog, poor concentration or poor memory.
- Neck swelling, snoring or hoarse voice.
Thyroid hormone production is regulated by a feedback loop between the hypothalamus, pituitary gland and the thyroid gland. Hypothalamic thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) stimulates pituitary thyrotropin (TSH) synthesis and secretion.
In turn, TSH stimulates production and release of T4 and T3 from the thyroid gland. When enough T4 is produced, it signals to TRH and TSH that there is enough thyroid hormone in circulation and not to produce more.
About 85% of the hormone produced by our thyroid gland is T4, which is an inactive form of the hormone. After T4 is made, a small amount of it is converted into T3, which is the active form of thyroid hormone.
To complicate matters, T3 also gets converted into either Free T3 (FT3) or Reverse T3 (RT3). It’s the Free T3 that really matters in all of this, since it’s the only hormone that can attach to a receptor and cause your metabolism to rise, keep you warm, keep your bowels moving, mind working, and other hormones in check. The role of Reverse T3 is not well known, however, I do see it elevated in persons under extreme stress and those who have mercury toxicity.
And finally, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, an autoimmune disease, is the most common form of hypothyroidism and its numbers are rising annually. An autoimmune disease is one in which your body turns on itself and begins to attack a certain organ or tissue believing its foreign.
I routinely screen all of my patients for autoimmune thyroid disease by ordering Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOAb) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TgAb).
You can check the below panel on each of your family with above symptoms. Make sure your doctor refer the same for you. You can also book your own thyroid lab tests to evaluate your thyroid function. Common search for thyroid test, thyroid test in pune, thyroid lab test, thyroid test near me ultimately ends here.
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOAb)
Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TgAb)
- Make sure you are taking a high quality multivitamin with Iodine, Zinc, Selenium, Vitamin D, and B vitamins.
- Go gluten-free! If you have Hashimoto’s, try going completely grain and legume free.
- Deal with your stress and support your adrenal glands. The adrenal glands and thyroid work hand and hand. We recommend restorative yoga and adaptogenic herbs such as this blend by Pure Encapsulations, which support the adrenal glands in coping with stress.
- Get 8 to 10 hours of sleep a night.
- Have a biological dentist safely remove any amalgam fillings you may have.
- Watch your intake of raw goitrogens. There is a bit of a debate surrounding this.
- Get fluoride, bromide and chlorine out of your diet and environment.
- Heal your gut. A properly functioning digestive system (gut) is critical to good health.
- Find a functional medicine doctor in your area and have them run the above laboratory test and work with you to find your root cause of the thyroid imbalance.
Know How We Give-Back
Create My Account
Shop With Us
hypothyroidism, Search for thyroid test, thyroid blood test, blood test for thyroid, thyroid function test, tsh, tsh test,tsh blood test, thyroid test in pune, thyroid test near me, thyroid testing in pune, thyroid testing near me, t3 t4 tsh, best thyroid testing lab, best thyroid testing lab in pune, best thyroid test laboratory, best thyroid testing laboratory, thyroid symptoms, hypothyroidism symptoms, thyroid treatment, thyroid diet, hyperthyroidism symptoms, hyperthyroidism, thyroid problems, thyroid levels, thyroid function, tsh levels, thyroid function test, thyroid disease, hypothyroid, thyroid blood test, normal thyroid levels, symptoms of thyroid problems, thyroid symptoms women, thyroid hormone, tsh blood test, thyroid disorders, normal tsh levels, overactive thyroid, low tsh levels, thyroid disease symptoms, high tsh levels, thyroid problems in women, thyroid test cost, thyroid profile, thyroid causes, thyroid side effects, thyroid range, thyroid symptoms in men, thyroid symptoms in women, thyroid stimulating hormone high, t3 t4 tsh test, thyroid normal range, food for thyroid, thyroid test at home, how to cure thyroid, thyroid in pregnancy, thyroid and pregnancy, thyroid test fasting, hypothyroidism in pregnancy, thyroid test normal range, low thyroid symptoms, low thyroid levels, thyroid symptoms test, what causes thyroid problems, thyroid deficiency, hypothyroidism signs and symptoms, hypothyroidism symptoms in women, hypothyroidism signs and symptoms, symptoms of thyroid problems in women, thyroid disorder symptoms, high thyroid levels, autoimmune thyroid disease, thyroid lab test, thyroid dysfunction, symptoms of low thyroid levels, thyroid problems in men, thyroid hormone levels, thyroid blood test results, thyroid test online, thyroid blood test online, bloodtestonline thyroid